Florida Road Testing


All the frequently asked questions you have.


Question: What is required before I can take a driving test?

Take Traffic Law & Substance Abuse Education Course, pass the Driver’s License Knowledge Test (take online or at DMV office), apply for a Class E Learner’s Driver’s License (includes vision, hearing, road signs/rules tests), complete at least 50 hours of behind­the­wheel driving experience (10 hours must be at night), or visit our GatherGoGet website for a detailed listing of the remaining documents needed and other information related to obtaining your driver’s license.

Question: What happens after I take and pass a DMV Road Test?

If you pass your DMV Road Test, you can get your driver’s license by going to your local DMV office the next business day for a fee of $48 (includes Learner’s license).

Question: What happens after I take and don’t pass a DMV Road Test?

If you fail your DMV Road Test, you can take a 2nd test no sooner than 24 hours after the 1st test. Feel free to contact Floridaroadtesting.com to schedule your 2nd road test for $49.

Question: How many times can I take a test with Florida Road Testing?

You can only take a FRT road test once in a 24­hour period. You are allowed to take an FRT road test up to 3 times; after a 3rd road test is failed, you must go to a DMV or Tax Collector Office for a 4th road test.

Question: What are the requirements for getting a Learners License?

Your teen must be at least 15 years old and you must provide:

1. One Primary Form of Identification (original or certified copy) ­ Certified U.S. birth certificate, valid U.S. passport or passport card, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship

2. Proof of social security number, Social Security card, W­2 form (not handwritten), paycheck stub, SSA­1099, or any 1099 (not handwritten)

3. Proof of residential address

4. Proof that you completed a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education course, or a license from any state, country, or jurisdiction.

5. Parental Consent Form which must be signed in the presence of a driver license examiner, or notarized if a parent or guardian will not be present. If you are under 18 and are not married, one parent or legal guardian must sign your license application. Step­parents may not sign unless they have legally adopted you.

Your teen is required to take:

1. A knowledge exam covering the following areas: 50 multiple choice questions about traffic laws and traffic signs, must have 40 correct answers to pass (80%)

2. Vision Test using an eye machine. To pass, you must have 20/40 (or better) vision in each and both eyes, with or without corrective lenses.

3. Hearing Test

Question: When can a teen drive without an adult in the car?

Once teens obtain an Intermediate License their driving privileges are based on their age.

16 years old  - Driving is allowed between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. without a licensed adult (all other times must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old occupying the closest seat to the right of the driver, or be traveling to or from work.)

17 years old - Driving allowed between 5 a.m. and 1 a.m. without a licensed adult (all other times must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old occupying the closest seat to the right of the driver, or be traveling to or from work.

18 years old - Driving is allowed at all hours.

Question: Are there any exceptions to the driving hour restrictions on an Intermediate License?

With an Intermediate License your teen may drive without a licensed adult during the driving hour restrictions if travelling to or from work.

Question: My child’s school does not offer drivers education; is Drivers Education required?

Driver education is required to obtain any of the three graduated licenses; Learner's License, Intermediate License, Full Privilege License.

Question: What identification is needed to apply for a license?

One primary form of identification, proof of date of birth, and one secondary form of identification; see document list for <a href="https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html#proofDOB" target="_blank">citizens</a> or <a href="https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC" target="_blank">non­noncitizens</a>.

Question: What happens if my teen gets a ticket while holding a Learners License?

If convicted, your teen will not be able to take the driving test for an Intermediate License for one year from the conviction date.

Question: Can my teen drive to and from school without an adult in the car with their Learners License?

No. With a Learner's License, your teen can only drive with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat AT ALL TIMES.

Question: What are the Learner Permit practice driving requirements?

1. Parent or guardian certification that you have at least 50 hours of behind­the­wheel driving experience, of which 10 hours must be at night.

2. Drivers with a Learner’s license, may only drive during daylight hours during the first three months and until 10 p.m. thereafter, always with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat.

3. Recording behind­ the­ wheel practice sessions will help to better assess and analyze time spent behind the wheel.

Question: Where do I find the Driving Guide/Log sheet?

You can obtain the log sheet <a href="http://www.flhsmv.gov/teens/booklets/FLDriversGuide_09_log.pdf" target="_blank">here</a>.

Question: What other resources are available?

Search the web for <a href="https://www.flhsmv.gov/teens/skills_checklist.pdf" target="_blank">Florida Skills Mastery Checklist</a> that covers the basic skills required to obtain a license.

Question: ​What if I have never had a driver license anywhere before?

Applicants for a first time original Florida driver license must provide two forms of identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number. Non US Citizens must present proof of legal presence.

All applicants must show proof that they have completed a traffic law and substance abuse education course and will be required to pass vision and hearing tests, road rules and road sign tests, plus a driving test.

Applicants for a learner’s license must be at least 15 years old and must present a parental consent form. Go to the complete list of learner’s license information, rules and restrictions.

The same identification requirements for citizens and proof of legal presence for non­citizens are required to get an identification card. See how to apply, and age and fee requirements.

Question: ​What if I have had a driver license from another state or country?

Please visit our GatherGoGet website for a complete listing of documents needed and other information related to obtaining your drivers license or ID card.

United States Citizen

1. Original Driver License or Identification Card

2. Renewals or Replacements

3.Name Change

Non­-United States Citizens

1.Original Driver License or Identification Card

2.Canadian Citizens

3.Renewals or Replacements

4.Name Change

Question: Am I required to obtain a Florida Driver License when I move to the state?

Military service members and their families who live and drive in Florida, may do so with a valid out of state driver license. There is no requirement to obtain a Florida driver license when military and their family members move to Florida, take a job, or enroll their children in public schools.

Question: What if I have a No Photo Florida Driver License?

If the license you have does not have a photograph, you must apply in person to renew or obtain a replacement license.

If you are currently out of state and cannot return to Florida, you can apply for a Military Extension Card that extends the expiration date of the license you currently hold until 90 days after you permanently return to Florida or are discharged from the military. You may delay the purchase of a driver license renewal by requesting this free extension card. Military extension cards may not be accepted in some countries when serving overseas. Click <a href="https://www.flhsmv.gov/MilExtCard.pdf" target="_blank">here</a>. to download an application. If you have a Commercial Driver License, (Class A,B, or C) your license must be renewed, because we cannot extend commercial licenses.

Question: Can I renew or replace my license online?

If you have a digital image license (does not have a blue sticker or no photo) you may renew your license by mail or online at <a href="https://services.flhsmv.gov/VirtualOffice/" target="_blank">www.GoRenew.com</a> one time between office visits. In addition, you may order a replacement license at <a href="https://services.flhsmv.gov/VirtualOffice/" target="_blank">www.GoRenew.com</a> at any time if your address changes or if you lose your license. If your name changes while you are deployed or out­of­state, please contact the Department by clicking <a href="https://www3.flhsmv.gov/DDL/CQS/" target="_blank">here</a> and selecting Name Change from the drop­down menu.

If a person is 18 years old or older and has their learner's permit, what is required to get a driver's license?

Three steps are required: (1) Take Drug & Alcohol Awareness Class, (2) take and pass Driver’s License Knowledge Test, and (3) take and pass Road Test with Florida Road Testing or tax office.

Question: What is a Military Extension Card?

The Department can issue a military extension card that extends the expiration date of the license you currently hold until 90 days after you permanently return to Florida or are discharged from the military. You may delay the purchase of a driver license renewal by requesting this free extension card. Click <a href="https://www.flhsmv.gov/MilExtCard.pdf" target="_blank">here</a> to download an application. Family members (husband, wife, children) of a military member are also eligible for the “military extension card.” If you have a Commercial Driver License, (Class A,B, or C) your license must be renewed, because we cannot extend commercial licenses.

Military extension cards may not be accepted in some countries when serving overseas.

Question: How do I renew my vehicle registration?

You may renew motor vehicle, trailer and vessel registrations up to three months prior to your birth month. Please contact your local county tax collector’s office or license plate agency or renew online at <a href="https://services.flhsmv.gov/VirtualOffice/" target="_blank">www.GoRenew.com</a>. You may change the address on your registration at <a href="https://services.flhsmv.gov/VirtualOffice/" target="_blank">www.GoRenew.com</a>.

Question: Can I register your motor vehicle for two years at a time?

Yes. You can avoid the worry and hassle of making sure your vehicle registration is renewed during
your deployment by selecting the biennial option when you renew.

Question: What to bring to the DMV Office?

Be sure to bring required documents the next time you visit a driver license office:

One of the following documents to prove your identity:

1. Certified U.S. birth certificate

2. Valid U.S. passport or passport card

3. Certificate of naturalization

4. Consular report of birth abroad

5. Certificate of citizenship

One of the following documents to prove your Social Security number:

1. Military ID card

2. Social Security card

3. W­2 form

4. Pay check showing number

5. SSA­1099

6. Non SSA­1099

Two of the following documents to prove your residential address:

1. Deed, mortgage, payment booklet or rental agreement

2. Florida vehicle registration or title

3. Utility bill or hookup/work order, not more than two months old

4. Florida Voter Registration Card

Documents to prove legal name change (if applicable)

Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show your name changes.
Documents must link the name on your identity document (i.e. birth certificate) to your current legal

Non U.S. Citizens: Document requirements are the same for Social Security number (if issued) and
residential address. For acceptable identification documents, visit <a href="http://www.gathergoget.com/" target="_blank">GatherGoGet</a>.

For more information to prepare you for your next trip to the driver license office, visit <a href="http://www.gathergoget.com/" target="_blank">GatherGoGet</a>.

Visit our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/floridaroadtesting/">Facebook</a> page for more information.